Saturday, November 7, 2009

Saturday, 7:15 pm

I just got out from seeing John again, and he is doing about the same. He has walked 3 times today and is now finally back in bed (he stayed all day in a chair except when he was walking). His breathing is about the same, very labored and it is hard to keep his oxygen saturation level where it needs to be. He tends to breathe shallow and quickly, and it is only going to improve if he breathes slower and deeper. He can do it to a certain degree sometimes and for short periods, but can't seem to get enough air so he gets going faster. I think I need to develop some "music to breathe by", since there is music for everything else. I'm also going to develop a better face mask for oxygen, since the one he is using is awful and pokes him in the eyes. Maybe awful is too strong of a word, uncomfortable might be more appropriate. I'm sure he will be back on the BiPAP tonight, which makes it hard to sleep, but he needs the oxygen support. Let's pray for a restful night for him!

2 comments:

  1. Praying that you both get some rest tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel for John and his labored breathing. It is indeed exhausting to put so much energy into just breathing. But, it's GREAT for his lungs to be up on his feet and in the chair. That, coupled with the antibiotics, will help him get over this even faster. Give him my encouragement to keep it up. My pulmonologist always says the best thing for the pulmonary function is to be upright, so keep on truckin'!
    I wish you both a restful night.
    Love, Jo Ellen

    ReplyDelete